Main responsibilities and key outcomes
Dalkia is seeking an experienced Design Engineer to work within the Engineering function that supports all of our Building Services Engineering projects nationally. In solving complex system challenges through technology based solutions and allow us to grow our unique culture as we grow the business. You’ll be an integral part of the Engineering team, so you’ll need to understand every aspect of the business and act as a leader regarding Building Services Engineering systems.
You will be supporting leaders and managers through an exciting time of growth for Imtech, hence your ability to establish your personal and functional credibility and to build strong working relationships acting as a trusted advisor will be key. This is a full time role will based from one of our main office locations.
Trainee Engineers as directed
The Design Engineer is responsible for the project design output of their building services MEP engineering discipline (MEP mechanical, electrical, public health). There will be a number of projects that the Design Engineer will work on at any one time; this will involve self-management to ensure that all required outputs are achieved on time.
The role is for engineers who have the capability and knowledge in MEP design. The range of this capability and knowledge will vary widely as there are positions within Imtech for graduates, designers and senior designers. In all cases designers must have ability and also possess the right attitude and aptitude for design work. The Design Engineer will work in a multi-disciplinary design team environment and communicate effectively with the other design disciplines to ensure an effective overall design output.
The overall responsibility of the Design Engineer is to ensure successful execution and completion of design outputs for a number of projects, meeting defined timescales, milestones, and quality standards whilst meeting commercial objectives. This will also involve managing internal and external relationships and networks and upholding the Dalkia standards and values.
- Tender/Feasibility/Award and Validation: Manage a number of design projects at any one time ensuring successful completion and high quality of design ready to handover to the pre-construction team. Ensure availability and quality of Design Brief aligned to outline design has been selected and agreed in line with process. Lead technical input into Design and Value Engineering Review (including off-site fabrication and logistics) through use of BIM production; incorporating any recent innovations
- Design, Engineering and Procurement: Ensure that Design process is compliant with all current legislation, standards, and codes of practice. Design Risk Assessments have been implemented into HSE Plan and that relevant cost implications are reviewed and agreed; giving certainty to ensuring colleagues “Come Home Safe”. Ensure that Designer’s responsibilities under CDM are adhered to by all Designers working on Project. Manage Design process using commercial, contractual, programme/time awareness and technical expertise. Review Regulations and general specifications to determine requirements for Project. Design options and “value” solutions, identifying/recording risks and opportunities of Project based on sound design principles and through attendance at peer review and design challenge meeting. Test and “challenge” effectiveness of different design solutions to finalise Design Plan. Present Plan justifying choice in line with project brief. Contribute to the Procurement Process through providing relevant engineering specifications/ datasheets. Identify skills and resources needed for Project, providing development opportunities to meet shortages or effectively outsource and manage Third Party Design Interfaces Pilot, adapt and embrace current and new advancements in technology enhancing methods of work. Provide support to other team members where required. Schedule and undertake regular Design Reviews/meetings with all design disciplines and relevant stakeholders to review Project Requirements ensuring relevant actions are closed out; ensuring Programme Plan is updated. Contribute to Handover Meeting with Project and Site Team ensuring technical Design is understood and agreed. Be proactive in leading/attending regular review meetings with Client/Project Team ensuring that requirements are on track, questions are answered and that records/systems are updated. Develop relationships with key suppliers and sub-contractors to assist in preparation of future opportunities. Identify opportunities to be innovative/seek market information that give advantage over competition. Challenge status-quo to ensure value is added at every stage; lessons learned are identified and discussed. Challenge status-quo to ensure value is added at every stage; lessons learned are identified and discussed. Share innovation, best practice and look for ways to improve “inch by inch”.
- Construction/Commissioning/Close Out: Be available to support Project teams by answering any Design queries throughout Construction Phase
- Other: Engage in CPD activities and actively contribute to development and effectiveness of Engineering Team. Follow company’s policies and procedures and take all necessary actions to ensure health, safety and welfare standards are achieved
Capabilities to fulfil the role:
- Good knowledge of the Engineering design process.
- Good knowledge of engineering and in particular their engineering design discipline (MEP). Professional Engineering or construction qualification is required to a minimum of Level 4 (HNC) with a Level 6 (BEng) desirable.
- Knowledge of business process system utilisation such as Imtech PDS system.
- Good understanding/appreciation of the other engineering disciplines within the design team
- Understanding of project commercial issues and constraints.
- Health, Safety and Environmental systems and procedures.
- Member of the appropriate professional body (e.g. CIBSE, IMechE, and IET).
- BIM: Interface Manager- primary function
- BIM: Information Originator – secondary function
- Ability prioritise work effort i.e. to juggle and manage many priorities. Prioritise and allocate time according to priority
- Good computer literacy general and in design/ engineering software.
- Ability to plan and programme (particularly own work).
- Able to work independently and as a team member.
- Skilled at asking the right questions to focus on the critical issue/problem
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with business acumen, with the ability to challenge and champion change
- Able to Assess and mitigate design and other project risks.
- Be able to give and accept feedback on designs generated and own performance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience/ appreciation of estimation.
- Administration and record keeping skills.
- Planned approach to utilisation of resources.
- Able to balance the big picture with the need to get into detail but still able to get the job done.
Behaviour & Attitude
- Sound, balanced judgement: brings a can do, entrepreneurial attitude and a focus on impact
- Client / customer/ user focused
- Builds and maintains excellent working relationships
- Acceptance of responsibility and accountability
- A positive, “can do” approach, determined to succeed.
- Open and honest.
- Displays a sense of energy and urgency.
- Recognises when needs help and asks for it.
- Remains calm under pressure and maintains a reasonable and balanced approach.
- Build and maintains excellent working relationships.
- Recognises own strengths and weaknesses and committed to ongoing development.
- Demanding of self and others.
- An exemplar and ambassador for the company and its values.
- Acceptance of responsibility and accountability.
- Engineering qualification through Apprenticeship with relevant experience or HND/HNC in Building Services related Engineering/Architecture or
- BTEC in Building Studies, Engineering or Building Management
- Relevant health and safety qualification
- 5 GCSE’s (A – C Grade) including English & Maths (or equivalent)
- MS Office
- AutoCad 2D Modelling (CAD Operator) and BIM
- Amtech, Dialux and/or Relux Design Software
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Full driving licence
- BEng/MEng Engineering
- BSc/MSc in Design Management/Building Services Engineering
- CIBSE STATUS (or working towards) CIOB or RIBA
- IET Institution of Engineering and Technology
- MS Project or Asta Power Project
- AutoCad 3D Modelling (CAD Operator)
- First line management qualification (Senior)
Previous Work Experience Required:
- Ideally 5+ years of Design Engineering or Construction Project experience
- Construction Project Engineering
- Experienced in Engineering design software
- BIM experience
Competency Level Required for this job:
A = Mastery B = Comprehension C = Awareness
1. Communication B
2. Teamwork B
3. Decision Making B
4. Emotional Intelligence B
5. Organisation Awareness C