Lead Hardware / Electrical Engineer – Nuclear
We are looking for enthusiastic & experienced engineers to join our existing Nuclear team to perform all aspects of E,C & I design and implementation. The role includes designing electrical and control systems focused on PLC based control panels but including cabling, MCCs, Drives & Controls, Switchgear and related EC & I equipment primarily within the nuclear sector although work in other regulated sectors may be undertaken. The role will require the ability to undertake site surveys, develop electrical engineering solutions for cabling, undertake Control panel designs, prepare, review and check necessary calculations and designs when working with others whilst following Capula’s procedures. The work will involve travel with the possibility of some short periods away at customer sites carrying out the surveys and designing solutions collaboratively with the customer.
This position would suit someone who has a good grounding in at least one of the following areas: –
- Electrical Engineering,
- Control Panel Design and Build,
- E & I Installation,
and who enjoys working in an engineering environment, who is keen to become involved in all aspects of a project and is keen to learn and develop new skills as part of an experienced and committed team.
Summary of Role:
- Lead and drive the project team.
- Review and approve designs developed by the team.
- Ensure compliance of the team to agreed procedures/methods and standards with engineering design responsibilities.
- Interpret and verify customer supplied data, specifications and drawings.
- Lead/Produce system designs from customer supplied information.
- Lead the Creation/modification of Design Packs including system drawings, general arrangements, schematics & wiring diagrams, site cable drawings etc.
- Produce client design documentation and test documentation.
- Producing all necessary documentation to support the production of the systems such as FDS, Test Documentation, Manuals etc.
- Lead site surveys and assist in the preparation of Health and Safety Documentation
- Support Site acceptance testing/commissioning
- Support the production of tender documents and cost estimates.
- Experience of/competent in control systems within the nuclear market (or regulated industry)
- Experience of/competent in field cabling systems (P, Inst, Contr and comms) including surveying and identifying routes, cable calculations for sizing and earthing/protection
- Experience of/competent in control panel design incorporating PLC, I/O, Comms cards, UPS’s etc
- Educated to at least degree level in relevant subject or HND with additional experience of ideally 5 years post graduate / HND experience on successful project implementation in the above areas of expertise.
- Computer literate with Word, AutoCAD and Excel experience.
- Methodical approach to the interpretation of customer requirements and delivery of project documentation
- Understanding of Full Project Lifecycle.
- Hold a current full driving licence (UK or be able to easily convert to full UK)
- Willing to develop / mentor junior engineers, lead their professional progression whilst peer reviewing work.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating some or all of the following: –
- Specialist / extended knowledge or experience in ONE of the following
- Rockwell (Control Logix)
- Siemens (PC7S, TIA Portal)
- Schneider (M580, M340)
- Experience of Motor Control Centres – Specification, procurement, installation etc.
- Awareness of /understanding of DSEAR Regulations and Hazardous area applications.
- Awareness of /understanding of Functional Safety (IEC 61508/61511)
- Site Installation and Commissioning experience of control systems.
- Good understanding of BS7671 IEE 18th Edition Wiring Regs
- Ability to work to deadlines and budgets.
- Familiarity with Databases
- Due to the sensitive nature of some elements of the work undertaken, must be willing to undertake Security clearance checks.
- Natural Leader
- Ability to Lead/work as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines and to motivate others to achieve the same.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be flexible in their methods of working.