Main Responsibilities and Key Outcomes
- Arrange and then undertake Technical Engineering Review meetings on all projects whether pre-designed or design and build in collaboration with relevant team members. Issue minutes to the project team and implement any corrective actions required quickly and efficiently.
- Identify design deficiencies and implement proposals or plans to rectify.
- Participate in post project reviews recommending improvements for future reference (i.e.: process and design)
- Provide value engineering solutions against designs obtained from other sources to affect better value for both ourselves and the client.
- Advise on areas added value on project-by-project basis by advising on innovative design solutions.
- Use the company’s resources to achieve high customer satisfaction, which will lead to repeat business.
- Be fully conversant with the Departmental and Company Method Statements, associated guidance manuals and technical standards, regulations relevant to the Design and ensure these are followed maintained and developed.
- Work in collaboration with Project Directors to ensure that contracts are adequately resourced from both internal and external design resource and look to recruit staff in-line with workload.
- Review and approve designs obtained from other sources.
- Provide design guidance to Proposals Director and formulate plan of action on all new enquiries and issue information to relevant designers to facilitate robust / competitive tender by estimators within tender timescale.
- Provide design advice to Estimators where necessary to facilitate the production of cost effective and robust tenders.
Operations Director/Engineering Director
Business Development Team:
- Provide support/information to the Business Development Team on Expressions of interest and Pre-qualification submissions.
- Attend pre/mid/post tender interviews as required in conjunction with Proposals Director and Design Manager.
• Providing technical advice and conceptual design schemes supporting the estimating team on Tender Bids
• Providing input into calculations of Design Fees for inclusion in Tender bids.
• Arrange for external design consultants to provide fees for projects both at pre-tender and post tender.
• Analyse Consultant Fee Proposals for both value and content making appropriate recommendations for inclusion within our tender submissions.
- Attending internal Pre-Design Meetings with the Estimating Team and agreeing design input in the Estimating process.
- Attendance at client design meetings during the Tender period.
- Meeting with the Design team agreeing design calculation methods, drawing production, and checking regimes before the process commences, thereby setting the scene and project plan.
- Attendance at internal Contracts Team review meetings.
- Attendance at External Design Team meetings representing the Company.
- Agreeing any sublet design packages and checking proposals and interfaces.
Finalising Tender Designs:
- Agree workload with the Design Team, setting output programme, targets, and objectives.
- Provide design or technical assessment of Tenders as requested by the Estimating Director, paying particular attention to the technical risk assessment of both traditional and Design and Build tenders.
- Reviewing design output information to ensure compliance with Project objectives and Imtech standards.
Visits to site:
- Mitigate risk on project-by-project basis by providing advice on correct installation procedures in accordance with lmtech’s Technical Memoranda.
- Carry out site inspections of all HVAC / Mechanical sub-contractor works to ensure compliance with project specification, HVCA standards, Building Regulations, industry quality standards and drawings.
- Reviewing installed commissioning data and provide technical advice and support to solutions to performance issues.
- Arrange Training and CPD for Senior Project Managers to ensure that all staff is fully conversant with current practice and developments within the industry.
- Provide Technical Support/ advice and liaise with other team members involved in HVAC projects.
- Carry out research to keep in touch with industry best practice and innovative construction methods.
Health, Safety and Procedures:
- Identify specific safety requirements for individual projects and ensure compliance by directly employed staff, operatives, and sub-contractors.
- Report on incidents involving deviation from Safety Policy including accidents and liaise with company Safety Officer.
- Ensure staff and sub-contractors comply with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
- Provide written condition survey reports, concept proposals, feasibility reports, as and required.
- Agree holiday cover with Engineering Director.
Engineering Services Business Stream
- Ensuring that best practice and engineering lessons learned are captured and shared.
- Ensure BIM, Off-site assembly (DfMA) and use of technology is embedded in the businesses.
- Collaborate with the engineering leads in the other businesses.
- To build relationships with customers whilst protecting the company’s interests and maintaining a professional approach.
- Represent and promote company interest at Business Development Meetings with new and existing customers.
Capabilities to fulfil the role:
- An overall knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of HVAC, Electrical and Public Health and Sanitation systems and the associated design principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Commercial awareness and appreciation of alternative systems and options
- Technical competence
- Interpersonal skills
- Influencing skills
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Business Planning Skills
- Leadership and Motivation
Behaviour & Attitude
- Positive attitude and behaviours that align with IMTECH core values.
Educational Qualification Required: (minimum)
- Electrical and Mechanical underpinning knowledge
Previous Work Experience Required:
- 5 years relevant Design/Management experience within a contracting environment
Competency Level Required for this job:
A = Mastery B = Comprehension C = Awareness
- Business and Product Awareness A
- Creative Thinking A
- Customer Focus A
- Decision Making A
- Planning A