Mechanical Project Manager
Purpose/Main Functions of Position
The position of Project Manager is beyond that of a Projects Engineer and requires allocation and prioritising of time to ensure personnel under the control of the Project Manager are working efficiently and complying with company systems.
- Management of a specific Contract Team, comprising Projects Engineers, Surveyors, Buyers, CAD and administrative support staff from contract award to completion of the final account and end of defects liability period, including:
- Ensure that all Contract Engineering functions are properly undertaken and professional standards are adhered to.
- Attend and act as Chairperson at internal pre-contracts meetings to ensure effective handover of all estimating information on contracts from the estimating phase of contract.
- Work within set financial budgets and financial targets for awarded contract, and report on the financial status of each contract at monthly intervals.
- Agree pre-contract lead-in activities with the Contract Team and ensure activities are actioned, resourced and completed within agreed timescales.
- Supervise and monitor staff performance, taking any appropriate remedial action and ensuring adherence to company systems (including the pricework schedule), relevant regulations, specifications and good practice.
- Exercise financial management checks, including reporting on the contract’s financial status on a monthly basis against pre-set budgets by comparing allowances against actual expenditure; investigating and reporting discrepancies to Company Directors. Ensure surveying activities are completed on time and all variations priced, delay notices issued and final accounts submitted without unnecessary delay. Ensure credit control matters are addressed to ensure good cash flow to the company.
- Provide advice to the Company Directors and other Managers on contractual limitations and developments in the contractual field, relating to staff performance and contract performance.
- Attend site meetings to check progress and where necessary take any appropriate remedial action.
- Check and distribute incoming post for contracts under your control, including giving advice on recommended response/action to members of the Contract Team.
- Agree labour planning and resources for Contracts with the Contracts Director.
- Assist the Projects Engineers on day-to-day contract management of awarded contracts and ensure that all activities within their job descriptions are actioned effectively.
- Ensure efficient use of Group facilities: tools and plant, stores and company transport.
- Effective management of Company Operative Incentive Scheme, including checking and authorising weekly timesheets for directly-employed operatives and payments to labour-only subcontractors, ensuring the control system is maintained.
- Client liaison and discussion, from contract award to effective completion.
- Attend internal Credit Control meetings to report on the contract’s financial position in relation to cashflow, remedial costs and surveying priorities.
- Holiday cover for Projects Engineers under your direct supervision, including contract engineering function where staffing levels dictate.
- Liaise with the Surveying Manager on contractual notices, extensions of time, loss and expense claims.
- Attendance where necessary at tender or client pre-contract meetings with the estimating team, to represent the company on potential contracts.
- Monitor the output and quality of design and drawing work completed by externally employed design practices on awarded contracts, ensuring targets are achieved.
- Observe the Company Health and Safety Plan, liaising with the Group Health & Safety Manager on contract requirements.
- Involvement in staff appraisal and assessment, including recommendations on such issues on salary review, promotion, disciplinary action.
- Involvement in expanding company standards and works practices in conjunction with Contracts Directors.
- Complete checks on all contract activities including purchasing, surveying, contract management, to identify whether company systems are being adhered to.
- Fulfilling the role of Appointed Person for the site management of electrical safety where applicable.
- Build relationships with customers whilst protecting the company’s interests and maintaining a professional approach.
- Undertake any other duties as requested from time to time that fall within the scope of the position.
- Work safely in accordance with the company’s current health and safety policy and procedures.
Skills, Knowledge & Competencies required
- An overall knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of HVAC/electrical systems and their installation methods.
- The ability to plan ahead, co-ordinate and prioritise workloads for self and others.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good people management and motivational skills.
- The ability to work under pressure to meet set deadlines.
- Good numeracy and literacy skills.
- The ability to multi-task and be methodical.
- The ability to read, interpret and fully understand specifications and drawings.
- A proactive approach to problem solving.
- A basic working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, AS400.
- A good knowledge of all aspects of health and safety within the industry and the ability to implement control measures at site level.
- Good leadership skills.
- A high level of discretion when handling confidential information.
Measurement of success
- The production, timing and accuracy of reports, installation and procurement programmes.
- Knowledge of the financial status of projects under his/her control at any one time.
- Ensuring all correspondence is actioned.
- Consistently good financial returns on projects, taking into account all relevant factors.
- A professional attitude and appearance and approach to meetings, timekeeping, attendance generally and interaction with others both internally and externally.
- The control of labour and subcontractors, for both performance and cost.
- Positive feedback from clients
- To perform the tasks as detailed within the job description within specified deadlines.
- Good motivation and morale of the Project team.